We are ready to work with you to help you prepare your students to play with the Denver Guitar Orchestra. We will support your students with another opportunity to play with an ensemble. Please contact us to discuss how we can help you with your curriculum and how we can help you prepare your students for our entrance exams.
Who are we missing?
- Boulder Guitar Society
- Cheyenne Guitar Society
- Guitar New Mexico
- Northern Colorado Guitar Society (Fort Collins)
- Retro Grass Jam
- Utah Classical Guitar
- Western Colorado Classical Guitar Society
Know of a guitar-related group, open mic, or event we could promote? Let us know.
DGO’s take on Guitar Foundation of America Standards
- DGO is built on a “classical” guitar foundation and includes varied musical styles within our curriculum.
- DGO recommends nylon string guitars when playing classical repertoire, and encourages the use of most acoustic guitars.
- DGO recommends sitting in an ergonomic position that promotes good posture and easy access to the guitar for both left and right hands. A footstool or other device may be used to position the guitar in the most efficient position.
- DGO encourages the use both hands in a manner that prevents injury in part by avoiding extreme extension and/or flexion of the wrist.
- DGO teaches playing with attention to minimal tension. Students should learn to play without using unnecessary muscles to perform a task.
- All sheet music is prepared with traditional staff notation, along with tablature and chord charts.
- We are working to have our well-sequenced curriculum aligned to the standards published by the Colorado Department of Education to ensure it fulfills national standards.
- We learn repertoire from various musical periods and genres. Modern and historic performance practice are be addressed.
- We’re seeking opportunities to participate in local, state, regional, and national music festivals (district competitions, state competitions, festivals, conventions, etc.).
- We have a library of solo and ensemble guitar music.
- We have access to high quality instruments, replacement strings and tools for necessary repairs.
- We are seeking to participate in outreach performances.
- We use proper right-hand finger-style technique for repertoire composed for this technique.
Denver School of the Arts Audition List
- Students will perform one piece of music in the style of their choice.
- Students will play a variety of jazz chords and related scales of their choice (see audition preparation page)
- Students will sight read one piece of music
- Students will complete a brief music reading test that will include major and minor key signatures, intervals, and triads
- Students should submit at least one letter of recommendation
- Students must be able to read music in order to be considered for the guitar major program at Denver School of the Arts.